Main Article Content
Malaria is a major challenge to public health and socio-economic development worldwide and in sub –Saharan Africa in particular. It causes an estimated 300 to 500 million cases and 1.5 to 2.7 million deaths worldwide each year, of which 80% of the cases and 90% of the deaths occur in Sub-Saharan Africa. The main objective of this study was to identify the risk factors of malaria related in-hospital mortality. The data were taken from hospital records at Tepi General Hospital, South Western Ethiopia. A sample of 535 patients were used for the study. The data were analyzed using the classical logistic regression. The results of the study showed that 78.5% of malaria patients were found to be discharged while the rest 21.5% died of malaria in the health center. The classical logistic regression analysis were identified significant predictors. The results from multivariable analysis revealed that age of patient, residence of patient, type of malaria species diagnosed, time from symptom onset to diagnoses, malaria complication, pregnancy and total length of stay in hospital were factors associated with health status of malaria patients. Governmental and non-governmental organizations should focus on continuous awareness creation of early diagnoses and treatment to the societies in rural part of South Western Ethiopia.
World Health Organization /United Nations Children's Fund (WHO/UNICEF). World Malaria Report 2008: Geneva, Switzerland; 2008. Available:http://www.unicef.org/386.html (Accessed date Dec. 27/2010)
Ministry of Health (MOH). Malaria in Ethiopia: Health and Health-Related Indicators Report, Planning and Programming Department, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Ministry of Health, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; 2018.
Ministry of Health (MOH). Malaria in Ethiopia: Health and Health-Related Indicators Report, Planning and Programming Department, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Ministry of Health, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; 2008.
South Nations Nationalities People Region (SNNPR). Malaria Report for the Fiscal Year 2007/8: Malaria and Other Vector Borne Diseases Prevention and Control Unit, SNNPR, Ethiopia; 2008.
Shargie E, Endeshaw T, Gebre T, Ngondi J, Graves P, Ejigsemahu Y, Ayele B, Yohannes G, Teferi T, Messele A. Evaluation of light microscopy and rapid diagnostic test for the detection of malaria under operational field conditions: A household survey in Ethiopia. Malaria Journal. 2008;7(1):118. DOI: 110.1186/1475-2875-1187-1118
Craig M, Marsh K. Estimating Mortality and Morbidity due to Malaria among Africa's Pregnant Population. Bull World Health Organ. 2008;7:624-640.
Lawrence N, Kazembe L, Tobias F. Applications of Bayesian Approach in Modeling Risk of Malaria-Related Hospital Mortality in Zomba, Malawi; 2008.
Stephenson B. Binary Response and Logistic Regression Analysis. www.public state.edu / stephenson /stat 415, Accessed date Dec. 17/2010); 2008.
Hosmer D, Lemeshow S. Applied Logistic Regression (2nd Edition). New York: John Wiley and Sons; 2000.
Bodker W, Kisinza R, Malima H, Msangeni S. Resurgence of Malaria in the Usambara Mountains, Tanzania, an Epidemic of Drug-Resistant Parasites. Glob. Change Hum. Health. 2009;1:134–153.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDCP). Communicable Diseases Monthly Report: Prospective Analysis of Problems in Malaria Diagnosis and Management. 2009;6. CDMR; 2007. (No. 52).
Collet D. Modeling Binary Data. 2nd Edition. Chapman and Hall/CRC, London; 2003.
Hilbe JM. Logistic Regression Models. Chapman and Hall/CRC Press; 2009. ISBN: 978-1-4200-7575-5.
Agresti A. Building and Applying Logistic Regression Models. An Introduction to Categorical Data Analysis. Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley and Sons Inc; 2007.
Montgomery D, Peck E, Vining G. Introduction to Linear Regression Analysis. Third Edition; 2001.
Kiszewski A, Teklehaimanot A. A Review of the Clinical and Epidemiologic Burdens of Epidemic Malaria. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2007;128-135.
Ministry of Health (MOH). National Strategic Plan for Malaria Prevention, Control and Elimination in Ethiopia 2010–2015, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Ministry of Health, Addis Ababa; 2009.
Wakgari Deressa. Treatment-Seeking Behaviour for Febrile Illness in an Area of Seasonal Malaria Transmission in Rural Ethiopia; 2007.
Mesganaw Fantahun, Wakgari Deressa and Ahmed Ali. Malaria-Related Mortality at Butajira Hospital, Ethiopia. Malaria Journal; 2008. DOI: 10.1186/1475-2875-6-49.
Bachou H, Slutsker L, Steketee R, Taylor T, Wirima J. Malaria Patients Admitted to Mulago Hospital, Uganda: Mortality and Associated Factors. In Centre for International Health Bergen, Norway, Centre for International Health, University of Bergen; 2010.
Zungu M, Howard V, Mouanda A, Watkins N. Identification and Analysis of Malaria Related Patient Diagnosed in St. Augustines Hospital, South Africa, Plasmodium Species Suspected in Low Frequency in Polyclonal Patient Samples. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2009;61:131–40.