Main Article Content
The emergence and spread of antibiotic resistance, as well as the evolution of new strains of pathogens, are of great concern to the global health community. The effective treatment of a disease involves the development of new pharmaceutical products or a potential source of new drugs. Herbal medicines in common use in our community could be an excellent source of medication to combat this problem. This study focuses on exploring the antimicrobial properties of plants that are commonly used as traditional medicines. The objective of this study was to evaluate the antimicrobial activity of medicinal plants such as Asparagus racemosus, Cyperus rotundus, Zingiber officinale, Terminalia bellirica, Tinospora cordifolia, Acacia concinna and Cedrus deodara against different Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacterial strains. The evaluation of antimicrobial activity of each plant extracts was carried out using the disc diffusion method. The antibacterial activity of aqueous extracts of Terminalia chebula, Justicia adhatoda, Terminalia bellirica, Withania somnifera and Zingiber officinale were found to be better/equally effective compared to standard antibiotics. Terminalia chebula and Terminalia bellirica showed maximum activity against selected fungal strains. The result confirmed the effectiveness of certain selected plant extracts as natural antimicrobials and suggested the possibility of using them in drugs for the treatment of infectious diseases caused by test organisms.
2. Djeussi DE, Noumedem JAK, Seukep JA. Antibacterial activities of selected edible plants extracts against multidrug-resistant Gram-negative bacteria. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2013;13(164):215-219.
3. Tian XR, Feng GT, Ma ZQ, Xie N, Zhang J, Zhang X. Three new glycosides from the whole plant of Clematis lasiandra Maxim and their cytotoxicity. Phytochem. Lett. 2014;10:168 172.
4. Vardhini BV, Anjum NA. Brassino steroids make plant life easier under abiotic stresses mainly by modulating major components of antioxidant defense system. Front. Environ. Sci. 2015;2:67.
5. Sieradzki K, Wu SW, Tomasz A. Inactivation of the methicillin resistance gene mecA in vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Micro Drug Resist. 1999;5(4):253–257.
6. Uddin Shaikh Bokhtear. Antibacterial activity of some selected medicinal plants used by the Rakhaing community of Cox's Bazar district of Bangladesh. Academia Journal of Microbiology Research. 2014;2(1):021-027.
7. Choudhary M, Kumar V, Malhotra H, Singh S. Medicinal plants with potential anti-arthritic activity. Journal of Intercultural Ethno-pharmacology. 2015;4(2):147.
8. Dhiman R, Aggarwal N, Aneja KR, Kaur M. In vitro antimicrobial activity of spices and medicinal herbs against selected microbes associated with juices. International Journal of Microbiology. 2016;1-9.
9. Singh G, Saxena RK, Singh NK. Screening of potential antimicrobial activity of Indian medicinal plant of different solvent extract: Tinospora cordifolia and Hymenocallis littoralis. Int Res J Eng Technol. 2016;3:928–932.
10. Khan SU, Anjum SI, Ansari MJ, Khan MHU, Kamal S, Rahman Shoaib M, Man S, Jamil Khan A, Ullah Khan S, Khan D. Antimicrobial potentials of medicinal plant’s extract and their derived silver nanoparticles: A focus on honey bee pathogen. Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences. 2018;1-69.
11. Sankalp Agarwal, Priyadarshini, H. Ramamurthy, Bennete Fernandes, Avita Rath, Preena Sidhu. Dent Res J (Isfahan). 2019;16 (1):24–28.
12. Adwan G, Abu-Shanab B, Adwan K, Abu-Shanab F. Antibacterial effects of nutraceutical plants growing in Palestine on Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Turk J Biol. 2006;30:239-242.
13. Akrayi HFS, Abdull Rahman ZFA. Screening in vitro and in vivo the antibacterial activity of Rhus coriaria extract against S. aureus. International Journal of Recent Research and Applied Studies. 2013;15:390-397.
14. Karuppusamy S, Rajasekaran KM, Karmegam N. Antibacterial activity of Balanites aegyptiaca (L) Del. Journal of Ecotoxicology and Envi-ronmental Monitoring. 2002;12:67-68.
15. Jeyachandran R, Xavier TF, Anand SP. Antibacterial activity of stem extracts of Tinospora cordifolia (Willd) Hook. f and Thomson. Anc Sci Life. 2003;23:40-43.
16. Martins A, Salgueiro L, Gonçalves M, Cunha A, Vila R, Cañigueral S, Casanova J. Essential oil composition and antimicrobial activity of three Zingiberaceae from S. Tomé e Príncipe. Planta Medica. 2001;67(06):580–584.
17. Vinay Kumar Medisetti, Ganga Rao Battu, Ravindra S, Sandhya RS, Subbarao RV. Antibacterial and anthelmintic activities of aqueous extract of Acacia Concinna Linn. Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016;3(6):566-572.
18. Kwon JH, Lee GD, Belanger JM, Jocelyn Pare JR. Effect of ethanol concentration on the efficiency of extraction of ginseng saponins when using a microwave‐ assisted process (MAP™). International Journal of Food Science & Technology. 2003;38(5):615-622.
19. Jasicka-Misiak I, Lipok J, Nowakowska EM, Wieczorek PP, Młynarz P, Kafarski P. Antifungal activity of the carrot seed oil and its major sesquiterpene compounds. Zeitschrift für Naturforschung C. 2004;59(11-12):791-796.
20. Lisgarten JN, Coll M, Portugal J, Wright CW, Aymami J. The antimalarial and cytotoxic drug cryptolepine intercalates into DNA at cytosine-cytosine sites. Nature Structural & Molecular Biology. 2002;9(1):57-64.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- M. L. MOHAMMED KALEEM ARSHAN, S. IMADUDDIN, FARHANAAZ MAGI, BIOGENIC SYNTHESIS OF SILVER NANOPARTICLES FROM MANGROVE PLANT Lumnitzera racemosa AND ITS PHYTOCHEMICAL SCREENING & ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITY , Asian Journal of Advances in Research: 2020 - Volume 3 [Issue 2]
- M. L. MOHAMMED KALEEM ARSHAN, S. IMADUDDIN, FARHANAAZ MAGI, GREEN SYNTHESIS AND CHARACTERIZATION OF SILVER NANOPARTICLES FROM MANGROVE PLANT Rhizophora stylosa , Asian Journal of Advances in Research: 2020 - Volume 3 [Issue 3]
- REENU MISHRA, M. L. MOHAMMED KALEEM ARSHAN, ANTIFUNGAL POTENTIAL OF PLANTS EXTRACT AGAINST THE FUNGAL PATHOGENS IN CUCUMBER AND BITTER GOURD (CUCURBITACEAE) , Asian Journal of Advances in Research: 2020 - Volume 4 [Issue 1]
- M. L. MOHAMMED KALEEM ARSHAN, FARHANAAZ MAGI, REENU MISHRA, PHYTOCHEMICAL SCREENING AND ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITY OF DIFFERENT SOLVENT EXTRACTS FROM Annona squamosa Linn. LEAVES , Asian Journal of Advances in Research: 2020 - Volume 4 [Issue 1]